Monday, July 28, 2014

Watching Paint Dry

It's a hard life. Here I am at Crick in the sunshine with nothing to do but sit and listen to Test Match Special while waiting for paint to dry so I can put on another coat (of paint that is, it's too warm to be wearing coats).

Herbie's hardwood handrails are a boon when it's very hot or cold, saving much burning of freezing of hands, but they do seem to need painting every couple of years, so here I am pacing up and down like a pregnant father waiting for the sun and wind to do their bit before I can slap on the next lot of paint. I put on the first top coat before breakfast this morning!

The painting is easy, but the masking of the boat side is a bit of a pain, although the Craftmaster plastic tape we use is brilliant once it's on, peeling of easily and leaving a sharp edge (fingers crossed I don't have to eat my words tomorrow. Here you might be able to see the tape and you can also see one of the scarf joints in the wooden rail

One bit of paint that never dries, and I do mean never, is that on the paintbrush when I hang it in the Brushmate box. I have written about these in the past but these boxes are brilliant. No washing of brushes or steeping in white spirit overnight, just hang it in the box and next morning grab the brush and carry on with the bristles still wet with paint.

There's a brush in that box that's had wet paint on it for well over a year.

Lastly, I can show you a bit of dry paint. It's our Claxon aka the harrooga, given to us by Jim and Sarah and now cleaned up and respendent in Herbie livery.

PS. for TMS fans. I'm staggered that Aggers just announced that he thought that kippers could be caught in the wild. Tuffers put him right.

PPS If you think you don't like cricket, listen to TMS anyway for the best conversation show on the air.

 

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

Okay, I'm late for this one. Enjoyed the post Neil, and I agree about Cricket commentary! I love cricket anyway, which helps...