Thursday, August 24, 2017

Solar expansion planning

Having decided to up our solar power on Herbie, there’s a bit of technical/ electrical planning to do, so for the record and in case it helps anyone, I thought I’d set out the considerations here.  Also, people cleverer than me might spot a flaw in my deliberations and put me straight.  Please feel free to correct me if am wrong.

Our current (gettit?) arrangement is one Kyocera 95w panel charging through an Emponi MPPT controller which is OK up to 100w but no more.  I also have a shunt type ammeter in the negative line between the controller and the batteries.  This shows we can make anything up to 6 amps when the sun is strong and in the right place.  More often we are averaging something like 3 amps.  we would like to double that by adding another 100w panel.

So if we have two panels, should we connect them in series or parallel?

I first decided series might be best, so the voltages are additive, and higher voltage in the cables means less resistance losses. Also, daisy chaining up the panels would be simple.  As I understand it, the down side is that if one panel creates more current than the other, there would be equalisation losses.

Now I’m more inclined to connect in parallel,  This way, as long as the panels generate the same or very similar voltage (much more likely), the currents are additive.

So what do I have to check in choosing a new panel?

Voltage is the main thing.  Panels specs should quote  the open circuit voltage Voc, typically about 21.5 volts and a maximum power point voltage Vmpp typically between 17.5 and 18 volts.  For parallel connection a pair of panels need to have these values as similar as possible.  Our current panel has a Vmpp of about 17.6v which I have checked with a voltmeter to be sure it hasn’t deteriorated in this respect.  I’m not sure but I suspect panels deteriorate more in amps than volts.

Type of cell is another issues. Monocrystalline or polycrystalline.  Poly is cheaper, mono is a bit more efficient so panels are a bit smaller for the same output.  They also tend to look a bit nicer. This is where you have to consider space on the roof.  I haven’t made a final decision on this yet, although the difference of up to £50 spread over ten years isn’t a lot. The narrower the panel, the less chance of tangling with Herbie’s centre ropes.

The panel frame is a bit of a consideration, but most of them are ok.  I just need to check the side of the frame is deep enough to take the screws for my tilting stands. 30mm plus is ideal.

Quality.  This is a tough one.  Panels come in a variety of prices for similar specs.  How do you avoid getting inferior quality without paying too much?  My gut feeling is that most panels are OK irrespective of price, but for something I want to work well over many years, I’ll stick to suppliers I think are reputable.  Our last one came from Midsummer Energy, not the cheapest but still reasonable and they are more than just box shifters.  I’ll probably stick with them.  Bits of cable and plugs etc I’ll source from ebay I think where they are a lot cheaper.  Little bits like that can soon add up.

Controller.  I’m going to have to buy an uprated one as the Emponi won’t take 200w.  Choosing MPPT is important, dearer but much more efficient.  Google it if you don’t know why.  Size matters too.  I want to fit the new one in place of the old and space is tight just there. Some of these controllers are at least twice the size of others.  And then there is cost.  Some come with more bels and whistles like remote monitoring etc.  I just want one that is efficient, has the right overload etc protections and from a good manufacturer.  Victron (well known in boat electrics) do a good small 15A MPPT controller for about £80.  That’ll do nicely.

Connections – how best to wire up in parallel.  I am pleased to discover than using the industry standard weatherproof MC4 connections, you can get natty branch connectors to plug two cables into one, which is what you need.  Lots of videos on YouTube show how to do it.

Cables.  Cables get hot and waste power if they are too thin.  They could even catch fire. I checked our existing cables. They are 4mm squared which will be OK to carry the increased current. Phew! I didn't want to have to take the boat ceiling down again for a new run of cable.  I need to check the cables between the controller and the batteries and the fuse too.

So I’ve done my homework.  If you can spot any flaws or omissions I’d be glad to hear about it.  I’m reckoning the panel, plugs, cable, controller, new tilting frames (see previous post) are going to add up to in the region of £300+.

4 comments:

Adam said...

I wouldn't know about flaws, but I do know that several boat builders of my acquaintance say the Victron MPPT controllers are the best -- so I'm happy to confirm your choice!

Frank Clarijs said...

Solar panels of identical type and pointing in the same way should be connected in series.
If not: they should be connected to independent converters (or independent inputs at least), because then the output of each panel (or serial string of panels) is used optimally.
In fact all the individual cells on your panel are connected in series, because this works best. Connecting solar panels in parallel is not a good idea normally, as small differences in voltage will make that one panel only will be supplying current. (The cells are basically diodes, so small differences in voltage will result in vast changes in current supplied).
See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_panel#Theory_and_construction: that states that parallel is possible, but diodes are preferred then.
Allow for proper cooling of the converter(s). They have a high efficiency, but still they warm up. Some will produce noise at extreme loads (high and low), so take care where you fix them, to avoid creating resonance.
I would go for the standard connectors (even if there would be a price difference), so that future updates and upgrades and repairs would be easy.
My 5 pence worth :)

Herbie Neil said...

Thanks Adam and Frank. Food for thought. My switch to thinking of parallel was brought about by talking to friends who had paired dissimilar panels successfully this way. I'll wait and see if I get any more views.

Neil

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

I will not comment on the technical aspects of your post as most of it is beyond me. I just want to share that my new system installed by Onboard Solar, combined with one older 100 watt panel is amazing! Even on very overcast, gray, rainy days they work. On a brilliant, sunny day like today I have washed 2 loads of laundry, vacuumed the floor, and sanded the side of the boat I am painting and my batteries never dropped below 13.5. It is such a comfort to know the solar array will keep my batteries full of juice and running the engine only happens now on very overcast days to do laundry or heat water for a shower. Good luck with your installation.

Jaq xxx