Sunday, August 26, 2018

London's Docklands

I don't read a lot of books, but here's a good 'un for you.

Those of us who have ever boated on the often lumpy and strongly tidal waters of the Thames down to Limehouse and, if we're brave and lucky, down through the barrier to Tilbury and beyond, can't have failed to be impressed by the enormity of what remains of London's docklands. Yet, that which does remain is but a tiny fraction of what used to exist. Now covered by giant tower blocks, entertainment complexes and often expensive residential properties on both sides of the river, once lay a vast complex of docks and wharves, teeming with workers while hundreds of ships were loaded and unloaded while many more sat mid river waiting their turn. The story of how it came about and how, over the centuries it developed and endured piracy, invasion, plague and fire, bombing and redevelopment is all told in the book I have just finished reading. London's Docklands by Fiona Rule.



It's a monumental work tracing the history of the area and its people from pre Roman times until almost the present day. Although it centres on the docks and the river, you'll find a good account of the building of the early city, the life of the Romans, the story of the Norman invasion, wars with just about everybody and how England's Kings and Queens steered the developments. It's all there and littered with fascinating details and stories.

I probably learned more about English history from this book than ever I knew before. I even see the relevance of the Treaty of Utrecht now! (That was the point at school when I lost heart and dropped History O level in favour of Art.)

Anyway, there it is. If that kind of thing interests you enough to turn 324 pages, I recommend it.

3 comments:

Vallypee said...

One for me, I think, Neil! Thank you! By the way, I really enjoyed your A Good Hiding tremendously. I’ve put a review on the US Kindle site. I’m not allowed to write for the UK site as I have to buy fro US or NL and they won’t sanction reviews elsewhere now. I’ll put it on Goodreads too, though, just in case A decide we are friends and remove it (they do that a lot when it comes to social media contacts). Great stuff!

Herbie Neil said...

Val. Many thanks for the review. There's a paperback here for you if you let me know where to send it.

Vallypee said...

Ooh, really? With your signature in it too? I’d love that, Neil. I’ll email you :)