Thursday, April 16, 2020

Belated quiz answers.

Sarah Chertsey's recent post about a musical 'plague' list of songs about isolation remind me that I never gave the answers to my quiz (see my post of April 5th) about songs containing everyday objects.  If you missed the quiz, try not to look at the answers below before you visit the original post to have a go. Sorry folks to be so late, but here are the answers;

1. When we called out for another drink , the waiter brought a tray    -  Whiter Shade of Pale
2. Wearing a face that she keeps in a jar by the door - Eleanor Rigby
3. I couldn't unfasten her safety belt - No Particular Place to Go
4. And beneath it was a bloke in a bowler hat - Hole in the Ground
5. I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more - Delilah
6. Bang Bang Maxwell's silver hammer came down upon her head
7. The only thing a gambler needs is a suitcase and a trunk - House of the Rising Sun
8. Put a gun against his head - Bohemian Rhapsody
9. Found my coat and grabbed my hat, made the bus in seconds flat - A Day in the Life
10. I see right through your plastic mac - Substitute
11. I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath - Norwegian Wood
12. Carrying her home in two carrier bags - Streets of London
13. Message in a bottle
14. Late last night I heard the screen door slam and a big yellow taxi took away my old man
15. I see a red door and I want it painted black - Paint it black
16. He could play his guitar like ringing a bell - Johnny B Goode
17. Lay across my big brass bed - Lay Lady Lay
18. Neath the halo of a street lamp I turn my collar to the cold and damp - Sound of Silence
19. Get sick, get well, hang around the ink well - Subterranean Homesick Blues
20. Bus stop wet day, she's there, I say, Please share my umbrella - Bus Stop

Well done to anyone who got more than half of them and apologies to those who got equally correct alternative answers.

I also forgot to give the answer to my earlier question about the picture in the Herbie blog heading.  Believe it or not that lovely clear water and lush surroundings is the dear old Slough Arm just west of High Line Yachting at Langley.

A to Sarah's list, I can only think about prison based songs at the moment, but that seems unfair as I don't feel as if I'm in jail.  In fact isolation isn't going too badly so far.  I have yet to get bored at any rate and my cultural education is growing even at my advanced age.

Things to keep culture vultures entertained.

Tonight we will be watching the National Theatre's Treasure Island (with a short break at 8pm to stand outside with our neighbours  to applaud NHS and other workers braving the plague on our behalf).  Last week's NT production of Jane Eyre was super and next week I'm looking forward to their production of Twelfth Night which is a real joy.  This will be my third time watching it and I can't wait.  Also tomorrow, courtesy of the Met Opera in USA we will be having a crack at Madam Butterfly.  Never seen that so I'll be there with an open mind.

If you like a short but entertaining quiz, take a look at Jimmy Carr's daily  Little Tiny Quiz of the Lockdown on you tube.  It only takes 5 minutes each day, but the questions are interesting.

That's all for now, I'm off to stalk a dunnock with a telephoto lens.

Stay safe.

No comments: