Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Drama at Hillmorton- Kath takes the plunge

Kath fell in the canal!!  She slipped whilst climbing aboard when we stopped and tied up for lunch below Hillmorton locks.  She was up to her armpits in water, feet still not touching the bottom and hanging on to the bank grass for dear life. I dashed over and tried to pull her up, but the bank was too high and the grass too slippy. Even a young fit person would have had difficulty in hauling themself out. So for several minutes we hung on to each other, Kath half out of the water and me pulling her arms and she trying to get a purchase with her feet. It was beginning to get worrying and both of our grips were tiring.  I looked around for help but no-one was about.  Eventually a boat appeared from the direction of the locks and I shouted for help.  The boater was probably as old and frail as we were but ‘any port in a storm’.  Fortunately a much younger and stronger man who had been sitting inside a nearby boat heard my shouts and came running.  He managed to reach out and grab the back of Kath’s jeans and together we hauled her out.  It was still quite a task for the two of us. She has a bruise on her shin and a nasty looking swollen thumb is of course a bit shocked (as am I) but is otherwise ok.  We abandoned our plan to press on to Newbold for the night and we’ll stay here today and recover.  The man who helped us was very caring and came back to check we were OK.  


Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we’ve both come up with some strategies we might have employed to get Kath out of the water.  However I’m not sure how we would have done much different as I was hanging on to her with both hands to stop her slipping further in.  We will however take a look at some escape ladder options.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh blimey! Poor Kath and you. I hope you have both recovered now and that Kath isn't too bruised tomorrow
Pip

Simon Kelley said...

Gosh. That was bit dramatic! Glad you're both OK. The problem of getting out from deep water and steep sides is very real; I remember having difficulties when Ann took a look at Stansted Abbots. We once dislodged a side door from its hinges whilst in the lock queue above Hillmorton: it's deep there too. I expected to be able to reach down for it, but I had to get in and pull it up with my feet in the end.

Simon.

John said...

When helping someone out of the water it is better, where possible, if the person in the water has their back to the bank. Then by lifting them from under their arms (it is easier with two people) they are lifted straight up to sit on the bank. The advantages are that they are not pulling against those helping them and only just over a half of their heavy wet clothes are being lifted out of the water

Herbie Neil said...

John, that sounds like a very good idea. Hopefully I won't need to use it, but I'll remember it in case.