Saturday, August 05, 2023

My MP replies regarding CRT funding cuts

 Two posts in one day! Well having just received a longish reply from my MP James Sunderland regarding my note to him complaining about cuts to CRT funding, I thought I'd tell you what he said.  According to the small print on his reply I am not allowed to copy his words, but here is the gist of his reply. I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.

It was a very sympathetic reply and he thanked me for raising the issue. He does I think genuinely understand the problem and says he has himself enjoyed waterways holidays and canal fishing in the past.  He also quoted a number of the benefits waterways provide to the country and to individuals.  However he says the government has to balance the books and there are many other demands  . . etc etc.  You can imagine the rest.

He expressed the hope that normal funding might be resumed  when public finances allow ( personally I fancy he might not be in government by then)  and will do what he can to keep the issue on the government's agenda.

I shall now reply to him encouraging him to support Michael Fabricant MP chairman of the All Parliamentary Waterways Group who as I reported last week is  "exploring alternative ways of funding including a large endowment which might give the trust the financial independence both the Trust and the Government desire."



No comments: