Monday, February 28, 2011

Lakes???

I love Canalplan but today it has me foxed.  It seems to think I have to pass through some lakes on the way to Crick.  I planned a journey from the Slough arm junction to Crick via the Thames and the Oxford canal, and here is the summary.


Total distance is 172.33 miles and 98 locks. There are at least 22 moveable bridges of which 16 are usually left open; 3 small aqueducts or underbridges and 2 tunnels.

OK so far.  Then :-

This is made up of 54.57 miles of narrow canals; 18.81 miles of broad canals; 0.40 miles of small rivers; 93.44 miles of large rivers; 5.10 miles of lakes; 46 narrow locks; 18 broad locks; 33 large locks; 1 none lock.




5.1 miles of lakes??  Any ideas where they might be?


Also I love 1 none lock !  I wonder what that is.


Lakes or no lakes it looks like about a fortnight on the move, although we may well take longer if we decide to linger somewhere nice for a day or two.  I'm hoping my brother Graham and sister in law Jackie will be able to join us as we ascend the Oxford canal, but finding places to pick them up and drop them off so that they can get public transport back to their car is not easy.  That's the price of a lovely rural contour canal.  It rarely touches villages and towns, and when it does, they have limited or no bus service.  If that were the Grand Union there would be a railway station every few miles.

1 comment:

Halfie said...

Interesting, Neil! By process of elimination I have discovered that CanalPlan regards the 5 miles 3/4 furlong section of tidal Thames between Brentford and the tail of Teddington Lock as "lakes". Perhaps the "none lock" is the skiff lock at Teddington!

River Thames (tidal section)
From Brentford (River Thames) to:
Richmond Lock and Footbridge
For 2 hours each side of high tide the weirs are lifted. At other times the lock must be used 1 mile, 7¼ flg, 0 locks
Tail of Teddington Lock
Site of Monty Python's Fish Slapping Dance 3 miles, 1½ flg, 1 lock

Total distance is 5 miles, ¾ flg and 1 lock.

This is made up of 5 miles, ¾ furlongs of lakes; 1 none lock.

(I have my CanalPlan options set to miles and furlongs).