Monday, January 25, 2016

Is this a record?

Just because I did all the stuff to qualify as a volunteer helmsman for CRT, it doesn't mean the qualification stands in perpetuity.  Apparently I have to do at least 400 hours boating over a five year period otherwise I would have to go through a reassessment procedure.  So rather belatedly, they've issued me with one of these:


Its a smart little log book in which I have to record all the boating I do -   date, vessel details, waterway, hours, and (ominously) any "incidents".  Fortunately I am allowed to include hours I do aboard Herbie, so keeping the numbers up will be easy peasy.  Backdating my entries for a few months I already have 154 hours logged.

Changing the subject- I have at last returned to flinging my deathless prose  at the computer screen and filling up the virtual pages of my next blockbuster novel, working title Eric II.  I had suffered an extended period of writers block after getting poor Eric into a spot I couldn't see a way out of.  Time is a great healer and Eric is now moving again, so I'm up to 22746 words and counting.  I guess that's about a quarter of the book.  Quite how I will fill the other three quarters I have no idea, but I am having great fun researching one particular aspect which shall remain secret for now.  My target is to complete the book before complete senility sets in, so I'm in quite a hurry.


4 comments:

Carol said...

Will be looking forward to EricII!

Vallypee said...

Seconded! I am also looking forward to Eric II. Your look book is the boating equivalent of a flying log. Good luck with meeting the target....without incident :)

Vallypee said...

Pff, iPad playing tricks again. I meant log book, not look book....

Anonymous said...

Could we tempt you to join us on the helm on Indigo Dream for a trip to/from the Medway in May/June? That should count as double hours being as we're almost at sea :-)

Sue, nb Indigo Dream