Friday, January 29, 2016

Why wasn't I told??

Why didn't somebody tell me about this wonderful web site THE GRAND JUNCTION CANAL compiled by Ian Petticrew and Wendy Austin?  It is absolutely brilliant and it's been there since October 2012 without me finding it until now.  I cannot think of a better web site dedicated to canal history.

I won't bother to describe it all, as you can look for yourself.  Suffice it to say that they have drawn together a shedload of fascinating guff about the canal. It'll be especially useful to us London Towpath Rangers 'cos we are planning guided walks along the canal pointing out this or that.  Now we'll have loads more to point out, especially in our patch from Uxbridge to Paddington and down to Brentford.  So if you want to know what Paddington basin looked like when it was first dug, or what the packet boat fare was from Uxbridge to London or how many aqueducts there really are on the Slough Arm  (more than the three most people think), this is where to look.

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

I am off to look there now, Neil! I love canal history. Thanks for the tip!