Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Herbie Awards

With the nights drawing in, I spend more of the evenings idly planning future cruises and contemplating the highlights and low points of this year so far. So I reckon it'll soon be time for the Herbie annual awards. When I say annual, I don't imply I ever gave awards before, but I might do again next year.

The categories (all relating to cruising we have done in 2007):

Best overnight mooring spot
Most scenically attractive days cruise
Best pub
Best pint
Best pub meal
Most coveted boat seen
Best shop near the canal
Best guest crew member
Most scary moment
Worst canal lock
Worst day's cruise

Quite a challenge. My mind is already buzzing with nominations. Its all too much to cope with in one go so I've decided to do it bit by bit between now and Christmas. That way, the blog will be a regular series of glittering occasions (or possibly not).


Just to get us started, the nominations for Best Overnight Mooring Spot are:


  1. Alongside the reservoir near the foot of the Marsworth flight - sheltered, lots of bird life, near a favourite pub, mind blowing views over the reservoirs at sunset.



  2. Great Linford, alongside the park - good views over the park, undisturbed, good pub within sight



  3. Paddington basin - secure, ideal spot as a base for enjoying the capital



  4. Fenny Stratford - dunno why, I just like it! Didn't even take a photo! Handy for shops, good fishing.

I'll announce the winner after consultation with crew members (who may also like to make nominations in other categories).

No comments: