Thursday, July 26, 2018

Water

I'm beginning to wonder if there will be enough water in the canals for our customary September cruise. CRT reservoir watch figures for the last month show quite big drops in levels.- a 19% drop over the month in the case of the Oxford. It's still at a higher level than the very bad 2011 season, but I reckon this heatwave might soon catch us up with that year.

Time was when we could make it rain by just setting of on a cruise but we seem to have lost the knack. I think we ought to invite our old friend Rainman out for a week or two.

Hey ho, not a lot we can do.

We did a short cruise earlier this week and arrived back absolutely knackered. Even the ducks were hiding under the lock beams for shade.



I tried to tell it that it was on the wrong side of the cill but to no avail. I don't think ducks can read.

Talking of reading, my new novel is selling like warmish cakes. More interesting for me is that a third of them have been the paperback version, so I'm pleased I went to the trouble of preparing that one. No reviews have appeared yet, but people need time to read it and think up suitable words of lavish praise so I'm trying to be patient.

I expect some people might be waiting until the film comes out, but that might be a rather long time, so get yours now and be the envy of your friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi

Thoroughly enjoyed reading "A Good Hiding"

Life in the seventies was never so exciting for me though, I envy Eric's magnetic attraction for the opposite sex but not his run-ins with wrestlers! I'm a fan of Peter Pook books and Eric seems to get into as much trouble as Pook!

Although I reviewed Jobs for the Boys, Amazon won't let review this one showing this message:
"To submit reviews, customers must make a minimum number of valid debit or credit card purchases. Prime subscriptions and promotional discounts don't qualify towards the purchase minimum. For more information, see our Customer Review Guidelines." (yes, I bought it!) so this may account for the lack of reviews.

So keep at it I'm looking forward to the next one!

All the best

Chris (nb Wrens-Nest)