Thursday, December 22, 2011

Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we dry

  IMG_0946 (2)

I didn’t drown taking this photograph on Tuesday, but I should have done.  In normal times the water would have been over my head at the point where I am standing.

It’s Startops reservoir at Marsworth.  The water ought to reach at least to the foot of the steps.

IMG_0954 (1024x683)

Every day on the Beeb for months it seems, we watch a band of rain sweeping in from the south west and every time it seems to fizzle out just as it reaches the midlands, leaving the east and south dry as a bone.  I got a letter from an old friend who lives in West Wales and they have had quite a wet year.  Quite a few people I have told about the water shortage seem surprised.  Well, here’s the evidence.When the new Canals and Rivers Trust takes over in April it looks like they are going to run smack into an emergency on day one.  Off hand I can’t think of much they can do about it.  Come on Rainman, now’s the time to earn your credentials. Get out there and walk up and down the canal a bit.

P.S. True story:  I once met a genuine hillbilly from the Appalachian mountains.  He told me they got their water pumped up from a deep well, sealed with a concrete cap. “A bit of a problem when we gets a power cut” he told me.  When I asked him how they coped he said “Well we just has to drink whiskey”.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's appalling - a few years ago Lou leapt over the edge of that lake after a duck but landed safely in deep water - can't believe it's the same reservoir....

I never thought I'd sing this - "let it rain, let it rain, let it rain...."

Hope you have a good Christmas...

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Vallypee said...

I'd send you some of ours willingly, Neil. We had a very dry November, but December has more than made up for it. the rivers are overflowing, and the ground is saturated to the point that the fields look more like lakes than ploughed earth..

Anyway, that aside, I have been a poor blogger of late, but just wanted to 'drop in' and wish you, Cath and your family a lovely Christmas and all the best for the new year. Have a good one!

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas you two! Loved your musical christmas card.
Carrie x

NB Effie May (to be) said...

Oh dear! I do hope there will be at least some water for us to get our brand new shiny NB across country from builder to home in the spring. Maybe we should have had a camper van (should I go wash my mouth out now?) Happy New Year all!