Friday, December 27, 2019

Herbie Special Award to "unknown" gent

Three things to talk about today -well four if you count apologising for not posting on Boxing Day as promised - too busy entertaining the family . Actually I just thought of another thing - this is getting like the Spanish Inquisition.

First thanks for Christmas wishes received from loyal readers.

Secondly I'm feeling really chuffed to discover that two readers have used my Best Gadget Award winner ( the pond gloves) as presents for their loved ones.  Does that make me an influencer? I guess it does.

Thirdly I thought I'd share this picture of a family member staying with us over Christmas for the first time.


It's our Peter's rescue cat Bella, who despite having been oiked out of home and driven 90 miles to a strange house for Christmas has been a model guest.  Those presents aren't all hers.

Oh you'll never guess what Peter gave me for Christmas - a ZX Spectrum.  Deep nostalgic joy.  Not only was it fun all those years ago, learning coding on it had a genuine influence on my subsequent 10 or more years working in IT albeit in project management and strategy roles.

Finally that Award.  Well we were having a hard time picking a deserving person this year then we remembered a delightful elderly gentleman who volunteers at Abingdon Lock.  He has a twinkle in his eye and manages to say something nice to everyone who passes through, as well as being full of advice on the town.  I would think he brightens many a person's day on a regular basis.  Sadly I don't know his name, but I'm pretty sure George and Carol on Still Rockin' do , because they are fans of him too so maybe they'll help us out.

Anyway

  The Herbie Special Award 2019
goes to 
the cheery volunteer lockie at Abingdon 
for Brightening Boater's Days.

If we get his name I'll publish it, and if any readers pass through his lock then please let him know of his new found fame and our gratitude.


6 comments:

Chris said...

Frank Jordan is his name. Award winner from other sources too:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/15460957.abingdons-lifesaving-lock-team-crowned-keepers-year/

Andy said...

Well deserved that team, always jolly. Now if it would rub of on the Bell Weir lockie!

Anonymous said...

Make that 3 people who bought pond gloves as a result of your recommendation!

Carol said...

I can confirm his name is Frank and Abingdon and I agree with Andy that it would be nice if just 1% on Franks delightfulness would rub off on \dave (?) at Bell Weir!

Vallypee said...

Dear Neil and Kath, my apologies for my absence over the past month. Life has thrown a few lemons this way and I've had a break from blogging and much else. I hope you've both had a lovely Christmas and your visitor enjoyed hers (model guest and all). I'll try and catch up with your awards in the coming days as I always enjoy those. All the very best to you both for 2020, and long may our blogging contact last.

Anonymous said...

Pond gloves as a boater's Christmas present - make that 4, following your favourite gadget recommendation. And it was well received too!

Sue /Boatwif /nb Cleddau