Yesterday was set aside for me and Rick to fit Herbie's new thermostatic shower mixer. Regular readers may recall that in order to get to the water connections behind the bath, we were planning to tunnel through from the saloon. A dangerous and non trivial task as it required dismantling the Tv / radio shelves and cutting a hole on the wall, hoping it would be in the right place. The escape committee had spent some hours devising a plan and a stash of tools of various types assembled for the delicate operation.
Well it must have been my lucky day because after I had dismantled the shelves and disconnected three million wires, I noticed a small board screwed to the back wall and so I unscrewed it and hey presto, a large hole in just the right place giving good hand and arm access to the water pipe fittings behind the shower mixer. So that's obviously how the original mixer had been installed in the first place. Neat.
Naturally the course of true plumbing never runs smooth. First the holes in the bath to take the fittings were too small and had to be opened out, and then the fittings I had bought turned out to be the wrong size so we then wasted a couple of hours driving around Hillmorton, Braunston and finally Daventry to get something that would fit. But we did, and when we resumed early this morning it all went pretty smoothly. By ten o'clock we were done and dusted. Well, done anyway, I did the dusting (hoovering up) later when Rick had departed for home.
So now we can have a shower on Herbie without getting alternately scalded and frozen and without having to fiddle with two taps to get the temperature right. Jobsagoodun.