I hope my design for a hatch window insert is going to work. I've made all the decisions and made the bits but haven't assembled and installed yet. I probably need to do a final fitting on site, not here at home.
I decided to mount the perspex sheet into grooves set in a mitred frame. Here are a couple of the finished frame sides.
I'm not sure just glueing up the mitres will be strong enough, if not perhaps I'll put some sealant round the edge of the perspex (unless anyone out there has a better idea).
Now for the (I hope) clever bit. The old window was kept in place using three sliding bolts. Remember it's only in place on the odd occasion. The bolts were not very elegant, so I'm going to see if I can hold it in with some of this magnetic strip.
It may or may not adhere strongly enough. I'll report back.