Saturday, August 27, 2011

More on rain

Re yesterday’s post, Rick points out that reservoirs might receive a lot of their supply from feeders over a wideish catchment area.  I suspect he is right, although another thing puzzles me, and that is that most canal reservoirs are on high ground i.e near canal summits, so they are at a natural disadvantage in catching rain from feeders.  The more I think about it, the more I realise I don’t know anything.  Maybe I should read up on it.

Last night as I had finished posting we were in a big thunderstorm.  Water was spilling over the gutters and the rain was really hammering on the roof.  With all the thunder and lightning I thought I had better switch off the computer, but I had a quick look at the met office site before so doing.  According to them we were in a sunny interval.  Well they can’t be right all of the time.

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

It sounds as if your rain is very localised. We've had nothing but wet stuff over here all summer. Want some of ours?