Saturday, September 28, 2019

Preparing for the worst

Where is Michael Gove when you need him?  We (that's me and Kath) need to prepare ourselves for stormy weather, shortages of supplies and all that stuff.  Unlike Michael's boss, our  alarmingly coiffured PM however,  we'll try to moderate our language as we negotiate the trials ahead.  Our deadline is rather shorter than his as we intend to raise anchor (Ok untie the mooring ropes) on Monday morning and head southwards.

Just like the B word however, the omens are not encouraging.  Never before have I hoped so much that the 'experts' aka the met office, have got it wrong, but we'll see.  Our strategy is to not worry about our destination, but to rest up and enjoy ourselves when the weather is against us.  Accordingly I intend to push on with some sketching and possibly painting.  Kath as made for me a lovely sketch book.  Here's the book with an alarmingly accurate portrayal of myself on the cover.  If you look closely you can see that the picture is entirely in stitch.  Kath often has me in stitches.


Inside the book, interspersed among the blank pages, all of nice bits of paper of various sorts are old scraps of this and that which may or may not act as inspiration, or more likely a distraction from my poor sketches.  This one's a bit of a tune we like to play.


This next one is a lino cut print by Kath.


It's all a bit daunting really because I don't want to spoil it all with crappy sketches, so I'm going to have to try hard.  Wish me luck.



3 comments:

Carol said...

We may very well be able to meet with your above /reading somewhere. x

Herbie Neil said...

Carol, lovely jubbly, Keep in touch
N

Vallypee said...

That really is a work of art in itself, Neil. Kath has produced a beautiful thing for you. Too lovely! I hope you are enjoying yourselves and forgetting the B word for now...sorry, shouldn't have reminded you! :(