Wednesday, August 16, 2023

New friends, an infestation and a fish and chips farce.

 


Now you know why our end of the marina is called Sunset Basin.  So we're back at our berth now and heading home tomorrow. On the way down Calcutt locks we made some new friends. John and Claudette (nice Norton Canes boat) shared the locks with us and it turned out they were just arriving at our marina having moved here from Cropredy. We liked them instantly so we offered to run them back to Cropredy in our car so that they could retrieve theirs. Herbie doesn't have much in common with a posh boat like theirs, but like us they do have an airhead toilet and they like it.

Speaking of which, this week was one of those very rare occasions when a composting loo causes a problem.  We had an invasion of tiny red spider mites in the loo.  I don't think they do any harm, but who wants dozens  of tiny little mites swarming all over the seat. It is a 'known thing' in these loos but this is only the second time in ten years we have had them.  They don't bite or anything.  They can be kept at bay a bit by spraying water on them, but when we got back to base today Kath rolled up her sleeves and emptied out, washed and disinfected the whole apparatus, and that'll be that we hope. It was time to empty out the poo bin anyway. The emptyings go in a bin bag which we put in a bucket with a snap on airtight lid and when we get home it'll go into a compost bin with grass cuttings etc in the far corner of the garden where I suppose the little mites might help with the composting.

This being our last night we thought we'd not cook, but go out and get fish and chips from Southam, so I was duly dispatched in the car with an insulated bag to buy them. Sounds easy enough. What can possibly go wrong? 

I wasn't sure where the chippy was, so I just drove into the free public car park and set off on foot down the main road which is downhill.  "Ah there's a sign saying pizzas and fish and chips" says I, so I walk down the hill only to find that the shop is closed for August.  Doh! Then I remember that the pub opposite the car park has a sign saying Takeaway Fish and Chips, so I walk back up the hill and go in.  "Can I get fish and chips to takeaway?"  "Yes normally you can" said the nice man, "but our chef hasn't turned up today.  Try the one just down the road"  I explained that I'd been there and it was shut.  "Oh well there's another on the opposite side of the street down the bottom end.  They'll be open." So off I go down the hill again and yes there it is, and it's open.  I step inside the door and see a big sign saying "CASH ONLY".  Doh! I've only got a card.  I step outside and see a cash machine back up the hill, so I walk back up the hill  and draw out £20, then walk back down the hill to the chippy.  I order two lots of fish and chips and the man says that'll be £20.05. ( I know!! F&C is not a cheap meal any more).  Anyway on hearing my plight the man lets me off the five p that I don't have, I wait for the fish to be cooked fresh  and off I go back up the hill and drive back to the marina with the meal still lovely and hot and to be fair, the portions were big and the fish was good so all's well that ends well and I got in a little bit of hill walking as a bonus. I also noticed that I could have parked the car right outside the chippy door.  Doh! Well I'll know next time.

2 comments:

Vallypee said...

My skin is still crawling at the thought of your loo-ly spider mites. I hope they don't come back! And 20 pounds for fish and chips sounds horrendous to me but I'm still thinking old money and can't get used to the new pound prices now.

Herbie Neil said...

Good to hear from you Carol. The canal is missing you and George.

Neil & Kathxx