Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Broken down!!

First things first.  Grace is now out of hospital (see yesterdays post) and doing fine.

Second things second.  More stress.  We've just called River Canal Rescue and you know what that means.  We need a repair.  Luckily we're at the Wharf at Fenny Compton so at least we're very accessible by road.  It was blowing a hooley up by the radio mast this morning, so we stayed put until after lunch.  Come to think of it you could hardly pick a more windswept spot.  Once we did get going we got into the trees and the high hedges and it was much calmer thank goodness.  About a mile before Fenny, I noticed the engine temperature gauge climbing rapidly.  We pulled into the bank just as it hit max :120 degrees C. Lifting the engine cover, a good amount of smoke/steam clouded out.  

It was a difficult spot to moor up in the wind but we managed it with a struggle and after half an hour letting the engine cool I looked in to investigate.  Peering in the coolant filler cap it was clear we had lost virtually all the coolant (I had only topped it up 2 days earlier), looking in the bilges, there was the coolant - a couple of gallons of it at a guess. Clearly we had a leak somewhere, probably a hose loose or split.  Only a mile to Fenny, so I refilled the coolant tank, topped up the engine oil, and we set off again at tickover speed.

It was ok for about 5 mins, then the temperature rose again.  We just made it to Fenny bridge when it hit max again.  This was our destination today anyway so it could be worse.  I just got a call from RCR and they'll be out to us in the morning.  That's fine. I just hope they bring spare hoses.  If my diagnosis is right then it's not that big a problem.  If I'm wrong . . . 

4 comments:

Rainman said...

Oh dear, you are having problems. At least this time there is a definite reason for the overheating, unlike when I was with you! Hope both Grace and the engine are soon well again.
PS I got a hardback copy of Jobs for the boys for my birthday, so I’ve got something good to look forward to reading.

Anonymous said...

Hardback!!? I didn't know it existed. I might get one.

Mike Todd said...

We have every sympathy for you and know the frustration when progress is entirely dependent on other people. (See our blog). At least you have access to those who think they know how to fix your problem. At least you are in a scenic place not with a scrap yard to one side, a breasted up boat to the other and 15 mins walk to the car park! (But they are both friendly and helpful around here)

Rainman said...

Sorry, I should have said paperback copy.