Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Oscar and me



Here is our view from the window as I write. We're at Pangbourne meadow, empty when we arrived late this morning and now choc a bloc with boats. It was a ridiculously short run from Goring, but we are pacing ourselves to arrive in Reading tomorrow for Grace's birthday.

Kath took the train into Reading to do some shopping while I rested my rather painful left knee. She came back with a thing to strap it up, scarily robust. I feel like my leg is in plaster.

I have been reading Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray ( well it was free on Kindle)and I must say I'm finding his smarty Alec prose a bit annoying. Contrived, I think I would call it. However as one great author to another, I'll do him the honour of pressing on in order to see how it unfolds.

I have to admit that the river is very attractive down here, if somewhat gentrified. We might moor up by the prison in Reading tomorrow, that won't be so salubrious, at least it wasn't when I did a bit of work with young offenders in that establishment in the 70s. Now I'm in my 70's I suppose I might be an old offender. I find that thought quite stimulating.

Of course old Oscar himself spent a while in Reading jail( or gaol), so perhaps we have more in common that I first thought. He was of course in there for outraging public decency whereas my young offenders were mostly in for "Taking and driving away" and such like. Happy days.

PS look at the sunset outside the boat now


PPS I'm writing this blog post on my phone. How magic is that?

1 comment:

Carol said...

Never moored by Reading Gaol Neil - would be interested to know where the mooring is and what it's like please.
Carol.