Tuesday, January 04, 2022

New Years Honours

Happy New Year everyone.  Statistically, I'm guessing that the probability of it being better than last year is reasonably high, so let's look forward to it.

Apologies for the late completion of the Herbie Awards - I have to admit that the 2021 Awards have been pretty limited, as has been our boating.  Anyhow I still have to give the Special Award for 2021.  Maybe, being so late it should be called the Herbie New Years Honours.

Looking back, I'm amazed to find that the Herbie Awards goall the way back to 2007! In the very first of them I wrote

With the nights drawing in, I spend more of the evenings idly planning future cruises and contemplating the highlights and low points of this year so far. So I reckon it'll soon be time for the Herbie annual awards. When I say annual, I don't imply I ever gave awards before, but I might do again next year.

Well here we are all these years later.

 Herbie Special Awards are generally given to those who have given exceptional service to Herbie , other boaters, or to Canals in general.  Past winners have included: (in no particular order)

Maffi -for Caring Enough in collecting towpath rubbish

Sue (No Problem) - for leading by example the survival of liveaboards in the harshest of winters

Oakie and Kathryn - for Indefatigability in keeping on keeping on despite infirmity

Sue and Richard (Indigio Dream ) for Hospitality, giving us so many very special (but sometimes scary) day trips

Jaq (Nb Valerie) for Fortitude  in her dedication to her dear Les fighting illness while living on board.

Best friends Rick, Marilyn and David (Rainman)  for crewing, DiY and general moral support services to Herbie

The 2010 Herbie Paintfest Crew  who put in such extraordinary effort and support in the great Herbie repaint.

Sarah and Jim (Chertsey) for Sufferance and Munificence in generously allowing Kath and me to participate in events on "real" canal boats.

Val Poore (aka Vally P) for Generosity of Spirit in continuously giving moral support to boat bloggers.  I'm delighted to say she has been a supporter right from the start and she is till with us.

Frank Jordan the ever cheerful Abingdon Lockie for Brightening Boaters' Days

Ronnie the dog for Best Boating Beginner at less than a year old!

I may well have forgotten someone, but rest assured if you are that person, you deserved the Award.  Award Holders, a number of whom proudly display their logos on their blog sites, only have to look through the list above to realise that they are esteemed company. 

For 2021 I could offer the Award to our so Peter who valiantly worked every lock on our holiday cruise to protect me from over strain following my pacemaker fitment. But that could be construed as nepotism.  Instead for delighting us with their helpfulness, friendliness, efficiency and a caring welcome we're more than happy to give 

The Herbie Special Award

 to

Karen (manager) and Chris (harbourmaster) at Ventnor Marina

I suppose I should let them know, although I doubt they'll be putting the badge on the marina signage.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: