Friday, December 23, 2022

Herbie Awards for Scariest Moment and Best Cruising Waterway

 I wish I'd taken more photos this year. I didn't get one of the Scariest Moment, because I was too busy dealing with the scary event.  Way back in 2010 I did surprise myself in remembering to take a photo of that year's scary moment on the River Stort.  First I took the photo then I turned my attention to dealing with the fact that Herbie's engine appeared to be on fire!  Actually no real harm was done.


Anyhow, the Scariest Moment of 2022 is indisputably 
Kath taking the plunge at Hillmorton

It was a few yards below Hillmorton Locks that had me trying to keep calm after I heard a loud splash and turned to see Kath up to her neck in the canal.  We were tying up at the time ( or untying, I can't remember which) and she just slipped on the damp grass ad in she went.  The real scary bit was that I was unable to pull her out despite struggling for several minutes until a kind man from a nearby boat appeared and hauled poor Kath out like a beached whale.

Despite that happening on our trip up the North Oxford it is that very canal which wins this year's Favourite Cruising Waterway

The North Oxford Canal

The North Oxford is totally different from the South Oxford, being wider, only having three locks and having tall wide bridges, high embankments and deep cuttings.  For the most part, it's pretty too.  The best bit is that between Rugby and Stretton Stop. Even the moorings just outside Tesco is nice enough. 



A number of spots have a nice rustic feel too



The original twisty route was straightened long ago leaving little side arms crossed be these lovely old iron bridges









Maybe the last miles towards Hawkesbury aren't so special but then it finishes with the cute little lock at Sutton Stop where volunteers have made it look very pretty.



So there it is.  An under rated canal I reckon.

Which dear reader only leaves one award to award.  The Special Award for a Special Person - known to at least a couple of you.  Tune in on Christmas Eve to find out who and why.












No comments: