Friday, August 03, 2018

How do night closures save water?

I must be a person of little brain. I see that CRT have introduced evening and night closures at a number of lock flights in order to conserve water. Well I can't argue with the need to save water. Everyday, boats are carrying hundreds of thousands of gallons of the stuff with them as they fill and empty locks. What I can't understand is how night closures make any difference apart from maybe putting off a very small number of boats from making journeys at all. Apart from those very few boats, the rest of us just wait till next morning and then go up or down the locks just the same. Now I don't think CRT is stupid, so I guess they have good reason, but I just don't understand what it is. Can anyone enlighten me?

This has been day one of the 'get my book for free' campaign, and I have already doubled my 'sales' figures. If you are mad at Amazon for paying so little tax, now's your chance to rob them of a wee bit of profit. Be my guest. Search Amazon for A Good Hiding by Herbie Neil. You know it makes sense.

4 comments:

Nick said...

I think the idea is that they cause a bit of a queue at the start of the day (and perhaps a few more people pushing on and arriving towards the end), and so increase the chance of one-up-one-down and (in broad locks) side-by-side boat sharing.

Also it is something. Something must be done, this is something, so it is done.

Herbie Neil said...

By Jove, that makes sense. I knew I had at least one clever reader.

Giles said...

Because, when they padlock them up at the end of the day, they can ensure no gates and paddles are inadvertently left open.

Herbie Neil said...

Giles, I dont reckon thats it because they dont often get left open on these flights anyway. I like Nick's idea.